Saturday, October 29, 2005

Sorry So Late. Update.

I am so sorry that it has taken so long to update. I have been really busy both at work and at home. No more baseball till spring. I always look forward to the games but it will be nice to have a break. And plus it is getting too cold to be out at night. We are all adjusting well to the new shift. It is nice to have help at night with homework, baths, etc. We even got to enjoy "The Great Pumpkin" on TV. (I feel another Barfield tradition in the making)
For those of you who don't know ~~after having 6 broken bones this year, Alyssa was diagnosed this summer with Type 1 (OI) Osteogenesis Imperfecta. aka Brittle Bone disease. So yesterday she had to go have skeletal x-rays done at Scottish Rite to see if the (OI) is showing up anywhere else besides her arms and legs. She has had this done once before in March and it was horrible. They can't sedate or put the little patients asleep for this so it took 3 tech's to hold her down while she screamed Mommy! Mommy! for 1 1/2 hours. I had been dreading this appointment for 3 months. But little Alyssa was such a trooper. She did really well. It only took me and 1 other tech to hold her while another tech took the x-rays. She cried with the head x-rays, but other than that she did great. It's a lengthy process because they have to x-ray every bone in her little body. She didn't even move so they got all x-rays taken on the first try. It wasn't that bad at all and even the techs were nice. Not like before. Last time they all still thought we were abusers. Scottish Rite is an awesome place to go. I just hate sitting in the waiting rooms there. It's heartbreaking to see all of the really, really sick, disabled children. Everytime I leave there I feel so blessed. We have an appointment on Wednesday, Nov 16th for her results. (Her doctor only sees patients on Wednesdays~ must be nice!)

2 comments:

Shanna from BabySchrades said...

I hope that the results are positive and that little baby can quit going to the hospital. Have fun trick or treating! I want to see pics posted later this wk!

Jen said...

That breaks my heart for little Alyssa! Have you gotten the results back yet? I will keep her in my prayers!!!!