Wednesday, July 30, 2008

So Brett called me this morning on his way to Texas for business. I think he was a little excited and alot nervous about traveling. (He doesn't like to fly) But what happened in the terminal made the flight more manageable, I think. As he was sitting waiting for his flight he looks over and none other than Mark Teixera is walking past him to a seat near. I can't believe it but Brett actually went over, shook his hand and talked to him, telling him that he was a big fan and that he would be missed here. Brett said that he was extremely friendly and just kept saying thanks. But of course DID NOT GET AN AUTOGRAPH. I begged him to go over there and get one but Brett refused.
Here is my tribute to MARK T.


Mark Teixeira's time with the Braves was brief. Almost one year to the day that the Braves acquired him from the Rangers, Teixeira was traded to the Los Angeles Angels.Teixeira hit .295 with 36 doubles, 37 homers and 134 RBI in 157 games for the Braves, with a .395 on-base percentage and only six errors.

He was acquired with reliever Ron Mahay from Texas a deadline-day trade July 31, 2007, which cost the Braves five prospects, including catcher Jarrod Saltalmacchia, shortstop Elvis Andrus and left-hander Matt Harrison.

The former Georgia Tech star, who is married to a Georgia native, called the trade "very bittersweet" and said he would miss the players and felt privileged to have played for Cox, who he called "an amazing man, an amazing manager."

"I think I did everything that was asked of me," said Teixeira, standing at his locker wearing a Georgia Tech polo shirt as the Braves prepared for Tuesday's game. "I came in here and played good defense and drove in runs.

"Unfortunately, we had so many injuries this year, it just didn't work out."

He said he looked forward to joining the Angels, "the best team in baseball. ... I've got a flight in the morning, and I'll be ready to play tomorrow."






0 comments: