Monday, September 03, 2007

Weekly Update

Sorry I've been a slacker. Our new Kohls and Penny's opens at the end of the month and I have been extremely busy at work. And I guess outside of work too.


On Monday of last week I got to work early and opened my email like I do every morning. As I sat there at 7:40am reading my email my eyes caught an incoming email from some dear friends. I opened it and began to sob. I friend of mine had succumbed to her cancer the day before after a three year battle. She was 36. Her sister and I have known each other since we were little and clogged together. (Poor Bill, in my office~ thanks for asking if there was anything you could do) So on Wednesday my mother and I took the first flight out to Baltimore. They had moved there three years ago to be near John Hopkins for Jenn's treatment. The funeral was so nice. There were several people from out of town. Afterwards there was a memorial reception at the Hilton. Needless to say her parents were shocked to see mom and I there because we hadn't told them we were coming.


Mom and my experience was needless to say "an experience." We rented a car and the funeral home was "according to google" 1 hour away. ( We had to fly into Washing DC) Well of course all the directions we had were different from one another, so we got lost. I had a brisk view of the White House and surrounding landmarks. Our plane landed about 9:10 and we arrived near the funeral home about 11:30. The service wasn't until 2:00 so we grabbed a bite to eat. After reception we got directions from the Hilton back to the airport. our flight was to leave at 7:55pm. Because of the rush hour traffic we left the Hilton around 4:30pm. The Hilton had given us the directions to the wrong Airport. It was horrible being in a city and not knowing where to go. One 1/2 hours later realizing the mistake we finally got to Ronald Reagan Airport with 30 minutes before takeoff. We returned the rental car and ran through the airport to the gate. It was empty. Thinking we missed the flight I started to panic. It was only delayed because of the weather in Atlanta. It was going to be an hour late. So after all of that we sat and sat and sat. Our plane was an MD 88 and we got the worst seats 37A-B, right at the engine. I arrived safe in my bed at 1:00am. It was a very emotional day with alot of reflection. I know Jennifer will be missed by all especially her husband and daughter, who is 4.







3 comments:

Shanna from BabySchrades said...

Lisa, I'm so sorry about your friend. 36 years old - wow.

On a lighter note, Neil got those t's from the college themed shop at Tangar. They are cute!

Shanna

Anonymous said...

Jeez Lisa, what a day...thank you so much for coming. You saw how shocked my mom was. I know she was amazed that you and your mom came and it was a wonderful gesture; we all appreciate it so much. I'll have to forward a link to this post to her so she can read it. She'll probably fall over!

It was really nice to see you again even though the circumstance was terrible. Since I see your face here regularly, it felt like I'd only seen you last week.

All my love to you and your family and your parents too.

Anonymous said...

We will all miss Jennifer and will keep her family in our prayers! Jennifer was a real inspiration to all who knew her. WE FEEL SO Blessed for knowing her!!